A.P C.I.D, Cyber Crimes Alert on Credit card fraud using rent payment apps- issued by Ministry of Home Affairs.
Rent Payment apps like NoBroker pay, CRED, RentPayment etc., are in significant demand. These apps allow tenants to pay rent to landlords using credit card or debit card, charging convenience fees. However, these apps are used by some fraudsters to conduct financial frauds.
- Fraudster opens his/her account with rent payment app and registers himself/herself as landlord with his/her own account number.
- Fraudster calls the victim and tricks him/her to provide credit card details.
- Using this credit card number, fraudster initiates a rent payment process from the app.
- Victim’s credit/debit card is debited and Debit SMS is received by the victim.
- Verify credentials of the app and the landlord, before initiating any online payment process.
- If such fraud is noticed, immediately contact the customer support of rent payment app. They may stop the transaction if contacted within the permissible hours of unauthorized debit.
- Never share your credit/debit card details to any person over call.
- Do not install remote access software like Anydesk, Quick support etc., if someone ask you to install.